Why We Exist
Between 1989 and 2005, the price of fruits and vegetables in the US increased by 75 percent. It now costs a family of four approximately $2200 more per year to eat a healthy diet than an unhealthy diet (2013, Harvard School of Public Health). The problem is only getting worse, pushing healthy eating out of reach for many residents.
We can do better.
Our solution is the Philly Yarden, a system of carefully chosen plants that provide food/medicine for the community while supporting the urban ecosystem. At the moment, we offer two varieties:
- The In-Ground Philly Yarden: an existing yard is replaced with the chosen plant system, which is planted directly into the native soil. This solution works best for folks who have a sizeable yard (at least 50 sq ft) and for sites with soil suitable for food growth. The conversion process takes upwards of 1 year (to analyze, design, and install).
- The Container Philly Yarden: the chosen plant system is planted in a Container with new soil. This solution works best for folks who are unable to use an In-Ground Philly Yarden (or for folks who are waiting for one). The installation process is much quicker, generally requiring only about a month. We generally work with block captains or other neighborhood leaders to install Containers in bulk on a given street.
Benefits of having a Philly Yarden:
- Easy access to healthy food.
- Less maintenance and lower cost than a typical ornamental yard.
- Join a community of people to trade the food you grow and share interests
How do I get a Philly Yarden?
Simply contact us to start the process!
We operate on a 'Pay-What-You-Can' sliding scale to ensure that all members of the community can participate in this program. The full cost of installing a Philly Yardens installation (including material cost) will be communicated to you before installation. Our clients are welcomed to contribute as much as they can afford. No prospective clients will be turned down due to an inability to pay.
Work with us
Do you like our mission? We want to hear from you and work with you. You can contact us or subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date.